Thursday 26 May 2011

The Morality of Pimping

As I mentioned in the last post, I work in recruiting girls to a webcam site.
My job is basically to convience attractive girls that stripping in front of a camera is not only morally OK, and doesn't make them sluts, but also, fun, easy, and pays well.
I'm not really lying to them, it is easy, phisically. The work is done from home in their own conditions, and doesn't involve any kind of physic effort. There is no strict discipline, and the hours are totally flexible.
The hard part is mental. No, not the part of pretending to be attracted to a horny old men, it is not different than any costumer service job, a waitress will also pretend to like her most annoying customers in order to get more tips. A stripper told me once that for her it's like acting in a show.
It comes after a few times you do it, the realisitaion that hundreds of people that you don't know have seen you naked, the paranoia when you walk in the street, anyone can be a customer. The self-digust.

In the beginning I didn't have this dilemma- I'm giving these girls an option, not forcing them, and every one understand that this is not an "innocent" job so they need to do their own thinking.
It started when a woman from the philippines sent me a message according to a job I published on a job seekers website. She wrote to me that she is a single mother, looking for a job that will enable her to raise her daughter, without being separated from her. It reminded me of all the philippine foreign workers in the country I'm coming from. Most of them are women going to nurse old people, in a foreign country, leaving their children with their grandparents, in a high risk of being abused or trafficed for prostitution. All that for a chance of sending their family enough money for food and education.
This case raised the dilemma: am I giving a mother a chance to raise her child safely or am I abusing he weakness of a woman in distress?
That made me think in general about the ethic part of the job.


Am I abusing  their innocence by telling them the better half of the truth or using legitimate marketing techniques?

No comments:

Post a Comment